Here at Julisa, our mission is to empower you to embrace mindful rituals.
Practicing self-care is surely an important part of our mindful rituals, but being mindful is so much more than that. We practise what we preach here at Julisa. We’d love to share our Mindful Values here, hoping that you’ll feel inspired to take a similar mindful approach at your own sacred home or work space.
We acknowledge that there are still rooms for us to do better in being mindful across all aspects of our business. In fact, we’re far from being perfect.
What we believe is to start small and start now. Start making small steps today to make big changes for tomorrow.
For the future of our Merbabe tribe, our mama nature and every living and breathing being who share this magical planet earth with us, we pledge to:
- Support Australian makers, growers and businesses as much as we can to source locally.
- For ingredients and supplies that are not practically available in Australia, we contribute to carbon offset with our courier providers.
- Only engage with suppliers with cruelty-free practice and no animal testing pledge. We thoroughly check all their relevant certifications by official bodies.
- Launch our innovative sustainably-derived nail polish formula with over 80% plant-derived ingredients grown sustainably using corn, potato and sugarcane.
- Discontinue the use of Benzophenone in our new plant-derived nail polish, on top of other ingredients including Formaldehyde, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Ethyl tosylamide, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate, Xylene, Triphenyl Phosphate and Camphor that have never been used in our formulation.
- Ensure our manufacturers maintain their ISO 22716 Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Adhere to ethical production standards and ensure our manufacturers align well our values. Read more about our certifications here.
- Ensure our crystals used in our rose quartz skin tools are sourced ethically. Our manufacturer sourced our rose quartz crystals through an importer in Hong Kong who they have a long trusted relationship with. While we are unable to trace information about the specific mines that they are from due to the fact that crystals are sourced through a very long supply chain, we were told that these rose quartz are collected via a process called specimen mining. It means they are collected as by-products from ore mining, where mines are dug for precious gemstones and industrial ore. As such, we believe the mining of these rose quartz as by-products means they contribute to minimal carbon footprint on its own.
- Design and create our products to be inclusive for each and every beautiful human being on earth.
- Create products that last. We design our products with longevity in mind and in top notch quality to minimise wastage. We take pride in our quality assurance process.
- Only partner with brands and businesses that align with our Mindful Values.
- Aim to continuously grow our donations to our long-term social impact partner Dugong and Seagrass Conservation. We commenced our partnership in 2018 and have since made two annual donations, based on $1 from each sale of our Mermaid Elixir, to their chapter in Vanuatu. We guarantee to match our donations every year with an ambitious goal to grow by a minimum of 50% year on year.
- Donate to an additional social cause every year on top of our long-term annual donation to Dugong and Seagrass Conservation. We have donated over $1,000 in total to organisations including WWF, Ambulance Wish Queensland and Brisbane Cat Rescue over the years.
- Use carbon neutral shipment.
- Maintain small batch production by our manufacturers to ensure minimum wastage.
- Use soy ink printing and recycled or sustainably sourced paper.
- Package orders with Jiffy Padded Mailers (made with 100% recycled paper fibre) and Geami Green Wrap (a sustainable, biodegradable and recyclable alternative to traditional plastic bubble wraps). All packaging used at Julisa is kerbside recyclable.
- Reuse cartons received from incoming orders to ship our wholesale orders.
- Commit to achieving a zero-waste office without any single-use plastic. We have a rigid recycling system in place and an office compost bin for organic waste.
We acknowledge and pay respects to the Yugambeh people of the Gold Coast where we manufacture. We pay respect to all their descendants both past and present, the traditional custodians of this land, and respect their culture and identity which has been bound up with the land and sea for generations.
We’ll continuously review the footprint of our operation and thrive to become the leader in ethical and sustainable business practices.
Now we’d love to hear from you! What are your Mindful Values? We’ve created this Pledge to Live Mindfully intention setting worksheet as an empowering tool for your self-discovery. We’d love to see how you use it, perhaps as a safe space to set thoughtful intentions or sharing among your mer-friends to champion your beliefs.
>>> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD Your Pledge To Live Mindfully Sheet
We’ve listed a couple of ideas to get you started and would love to see what you come up with!
Be sure to share and inspire us by taking a photo of your Pledge and tag us on Instagram @MermaidJulisa.
With love & mindfulness xx